Korlai Fort & Lighthouse

Korlai Fort is located about 15 kms from Kashid and is almost midway between Kashid and Alibaug. Built by the Portugese the Korlai fort and lighthouse offer panoramic views of the sea. People visit this fort more for the magnificent views of the sea than its historic importance.

Korlai Fort was built to guard the way to the Revdanda Creek and meant to be a secondary support to the fort at Chaul. Korlai Fort was built in 1521 by the Portuguese with the permission of the Ahmednagar sultanate however the Portugese where ousted from the fort soonafter. The fort was reclaimed in 1594 by Potugese however since they didnt have enough men at their disposal to stand guard at Korlai fort chose to destroy it leaving only the central tower intact.

Korlai Fort
Kashid Hotels
Kashid Hotels
Kashid Hotels

Korlai Fort & Lighthouse

The area within the Korlai fort walls is divided into three enclosures by two lines of bastioned fortifications. Each of the seven bastions bears the name of a saint. The two westward bastions are named Sao Diego and Sao Francisco. The others are Sao Pedro, Sao Inacio, and Sao Filipe. Korlai fort has a large rainwater cistern with three mouths and the ruins of the magazine and a church. The church was built in 1630 for the use of the army and was functional until 1728.

The hill slopes surrounding the fort are in control of the Maharashtra Forest department. Originally trees of teak were planted on the eastern slopes later in 1996 plantation of cashew and acacia was done to check erosion.

From the southern gate of the fort travellers can visit the Korlai Lighthouse which is still in operation. Korlai Lighthous stands amidst a well maintained compound. The Korlai Lighthouse is a fully automated lighthouse which was built in 1955 AD. The top radar keeps a track of the surrounding sea and constantly takes pictures which get directly transmitted to the coast guards via satellite.